Skip to main content

Technical Writing

Product owners and engineers will often insist that their product is so user-friendly they don't need documentation. They then turn to Technical Writers when they find out that that is not the case. I started working with doc-department (now merged into 3di information solutions) straight out of university and hit the ground running, learning all about technical communications, information design and managing projects.

Have a look at some of my handiwork here:

doc-department API documentation examples

This examples mini-site gives a good indication of the power of high-quality technical writing. Using the right tools you can write a piece of content once and have it converted into multiple different formats. We call this single-sourcing.

Read more about single-sourcing here

Tech Writers often also double up as UX writers or Technical Copywriters.

Read more about my Technical Copywriting experience here

I officially worked as a Technical Writer for three years, and unofficially for another two. If you'd like to hear more, drop me an email.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Data Science

I am starting to dip my toe into the world of Data Science. I am teaching myself Python and SQL, and following a Masters course in Data Science at the Technical University of Dublin. Below are sample projects I have produced for job interviews etc. Brooklyn motor vehicle collisions case study An investigation of motor vehicle collisions in Brooklyn 2014-2017. Aim is to reduce vehicle collisions and deaths. Executive summary 190,981 motor vehicle collisions in Brooklyn in 2014-2017 207 resulted in deaths Driver Inattention is biggest factor in motor vehicle collisions Involved in 55,971 collisions Complex intersections on Atlantic Avenue and zip code 11207 are more dangerous areas Accidents are more frequent around typical rush hours 8am and 4pm Monday to Friday Approach taken Data filtered by date (2014-2017) and borough (Brooklyn) Using SQL from open-source NYPD database of collisions Deaths: Data filtered by factors (no NULL and no Unspecified) If ...

Cultural Journalism

I lived in Edinburgh for 6 years, and spent every summer attending the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. When the biggest performing arts festival in the world lands on your doorstep, you have to go out and see what's happening. I started out as a roaming reviewer, then progressed to editor and features writer for multiple publications. Through this work I started up a great relationship with The Skinny and Fest, which continues to this day . Fest  - August 2019 Interviews with Magical Bones and Isma Almas . The Skinny  - 2011 to present Comedy reviews, previews, interviews, and the odd foray into Tech and Magic in one of Scotland's best and most widely-read cultural magazines. Interviews:  David Baddiel ,  Derren Brown ,  Sara Pascoe ,  Sofie Hagen Edinburgh Magic Festival Apps and books Many more Broadway Baby  - Comedy editor, August 2013 I scheduled shows for a team of 100 reviewers, edited their pieces in the safety of the office, then broke ...

Edinburgh Fringe 2019

I am currently conducting a long-distance love affair with the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. It's tough going, but it's worth it to keep our relationship alive. This year my work was shortlisted for the Allen Wright Award for journalism at the Fringe. I spoke to three performers about their shows for publication in The Skinny and her sister magazine Fest: Sophie Duker The Skinny July 2019 Duker runs a monthly comedy night in London, and is taking her debut full-length show to the Fringe. We spoke about 'wokeness', being a token, and the creative process. Magical Bones Fest July 2019 Bones is a professional dancer-turned-magician, who combines his passions in a unique magical style. We spoke about history, race and what magic really is. Isma Almas Fest August 2019 Almas' show about adoption started making waves in Edinburgh, so my editor asked me to speak with her on a 48-hour deadline. We had a lovely chat, I learned a lot about the adoption process, and we made...